BANANA-APPLE-GINGER SMOOTHIE -A WORLD OF GOODNESS IN A BOTTLE!
How wrong I was. Or how right…I mean, who wouldn’t want to be fixated on fitness and the general well being of this house we live in and carry around?
Our body is the only house we live in, why shouldn’t we take care of it or be fixated on it? (Provided fixation is not equal to obsession..)
Peradventure we have one or two people walking the same shoes I was in, in ‘that era’, I am pleased to announce to you that the best you can do for yourself, and body is to make fruits a very regular part of your diet – a better part, even.
Yeah, I know it requires a great deal of effort, conscious efforts but it can be done.
If we consider how much we are likely to spend (financially, emotionally, psychologically, etc) on treatments if we happen to come down with any of ‘those’ dreadful illnesses, then the daily cost of some apples, carrots, bananas, nuts, etc is insignificant in comparison.
So let’s get on to it.
How to make the Banana-Apple-Ginger Smoothie or any smoothie at all is a no brainer.
Let me tell you my big secret, the how-to (make smoothies) got me staying away (from smoothies) until late 2015. Yes, you read that right.
Seeing as yours truly is a lazy human who can sometimes be frugal and who is adept at shying away from anything that has the tiniest suggestion of stress, I just maintained my lane – taking my fruits the good old way of biting, chewing, gulping and digesting..until my eyes literally opened.
What you need to make smoothies:
- Fruits and a (powerful) Blender!
If you have fancy smoothie makers, the type I gawk at online for years, fine. Otherwise, just make use of your Blender. We all have one on our kitchen shelf / cabinet.
Here is how to make any smoothie at all:
Simply throw your fruits into a (powerful) Blender, blend smoothly and you have your delicious cup or bottle of goodness ready to take in less than 5 minutes.
Now, how cool is that.
How I Made My Banana-Apple-Ginger Smoothie
2 (frozen) Green Apples
2 ripe (frozen) Bananas
1/2 (inch) Ginger
1 cup of (cold) Water
I diced the apples and removed the seeds, peeled the bananas and cut into smaller bits and finally scraped the ginger clean.
The three ingredients were blended for about two minutes (until smooth) and transferred to a bottle.
BENEFITS OF TAKING SMOOTHIES OVER EATING ‘RAW’ FRUITS
Now, here is one thing about smoothies which I love very much:
It ‘protects’ the teeth from prolonged acidic assaults!
Our dental enamels should not be over-exposed to acidic fruits / foods for the same reason fizzy drinks are being discouraged.
Prolonged chewing of sugary / acidic foods exposes us and our dental wonders; When we take smoothies, we do not have to worry so much about that.
This is because the teeth are protected to a large extent considering that we do not have to keep biting into the fruits on end.
That is of course subject to the fact that we do not ‘prolong’ taking the prepared smoothies.
Remember that an apple a day does not mean an apple eaten on end, the whole day.
See what I mean?
HEALTH BENEFITS OF THE BANANA-APPLE-GINGER SMOOTHIE
For one, bananas is a favorite in my home and is one of the fruits my lil men take without much persuasion. That is my number one benefit.
- Improves the health of the eyes
- Memory preservation
- Useful in treatment of diarrhea / bowel movement
- Reduces the chance of developing asthma
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Improves the health of the heart
- Reduces risk of stroke
- Preservation of bone mineral density
- Reduction in the formation of kidney stones, etc
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, they say…and I believe.
Besides being yummy as a starter or accompaniment, apples are considered to be rich in important antioxidants, flavanoids, and dietary fiber.
- They are reputed to help prevent memory loss
- Improves neurological health
- Reduces the risk of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease
- Reduces the risk of stroke
- Lowers bad cholesterol level
- Reduces the risk of diabetes
- Reduces the risk of breast cancer, etc
LET me tell you why I added ginger (besides the health benefits, of course).
I wasn’t sure I’d love the ‘concentrated’ sugary taste of the combination of bananas and apples, so I decided to ‘temper’ the sweet taste with the tanginess of the ginger!
My love affair with ginger started some 10+ years ago (never looked back).
- One of the greatest and healthiest spices (for cooking)
- It contains nutrients and compounds that are beneficial to our bodies and brains.
- Contains ‘Gingerol’ – a substance with powerful medicinal properties.
- Used in alternative medicine / therapy
- Helps in preventing / reducing nausea
- Helps fight flu and cold.
- Has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects
- Effective against osteoarthritis, muscle pain and soreness
- May lower blood sugar and improve heart health
- May help in treating chronic indigestion
- May help prevent cancer
- May improve brain function and protect against alzheimer’s disease
- Can help fight infections by inhibiting the growth of bacteria
Err…back to our banana-apple-ginger smoothie, considering all the wondrous benefits you’re going to load your body in one cup / bottle, are you willing to give this a try?
Note: If you are all for all-sweet-no-tanginess, you may want to leave out the ginger but I strongly recommend adding ginger so you don’t get to miss too many benefits. I am biased though because I am Ms. Ginger…I particularly love the slightly ‘biting’ flavour of this smoothie..
So, what’s your favorite fruit combo / smoothie?