FUN FACTS : POLAR BEARS

Fun facts about polar bear: polar bear day
POLAR BEAR FUN FACTS

So I got to hear some fun facts about polar bears recently (January to be precise) and decided to put off posting until today…which happens to be a day set aside for the beautiful carnivores.

Yes, they are beautiful even though I do not pray to come really close to any just for the purpose of verifying or validating this. Admiring them on my screens is more than enough for me. Thank you.

D1: ‘Mummy, do you ‘even’ know that Polar Bears that are pregnant do not eat?‘ (Out of the blues like most of his questions)

‘They also don’t move, drink, swim or do anything at all’

Me: Haha..How is that even possible? Why / how won’t they eat or move while pregnant? They must be very lazy…and laziness kills, sometimes.

Him: ‘It’s true, they don’t even eat for seven months’

Seven months bawo.

Forget that we do not have polar or any sort of bears in Nigeria, but how is a never-been-close-to-a-bear-before-thirty-something-year-young somebody to know this beary life-saving fact?

I tell you, my rustic brain still tries to grapple with the fact that the teaching roles have been reversed…tey tey

(Trying to save face mummy-fashion) Who told you this? Your teacher in school or you read this somewhere?

‘I saw it on NatGeoWild’

Now, prepare for another one.

I bet this one would not ‘shock’ you as much as it ‘shocked’ me when I heard….that there are no longer 9 planets like my Geography teacher taught me…but rather 8…

Because…one of the nine is already a dwarf planet!

This, he read from his book. The very one mummy bought for him. Yeah, famzing is allowed.

And another almost fun fact, courtesy D1 from NatGeoWild

‘Do you know that you can use dogs as natural pilots?’

‘No, I don’t’ (..thinking…what on earth are natural pilots?..)

‘How is that even possible?’

‘It’s true, I saw a dog driving on NatGeoWild’

I’m not even checking that claim out and it comes with a ‘don’t try this at home’ warning as a bonus.

As the only female in an all-male environment, I make bold to announce that after Super Sports, Animal channels on TV are the next best things…after bread and strawberry jams, that is.

My boy even wants to be an animal scientist. Today.

And no, he hasn’t forgotten about his first love(s) a la his career(s) aspirations as a medical doctor, chef and teacher or as a medical doctor, pastor and an engineer…combined.

Time and passion will tell…but I daresay, there is hope yet. For me mankind.

Back to polar Bears: Quick Facts

• Polar bears live in the Arctic.
  • Polar bears have black skin and although their fur appears white, it is actually transparent.
  • It is the largest carnivore (meat eater) that lives on land.
  • Polar bears use sea ice as a platform to hunt seals.
  • Seals make up most of a polar bears diet.
  • Male polar bears can weigh up to 680 kg (1500 lb).
  • Female polar bears usually only weigh about half as much as males.
  • Polar bears spend most of their time at sea.
  • Scientists estimate that there are around 20000 polar bears.
  • Polar bears have 42 teeth.
  • The scientific name for the polar bear is ‘ursus maritimus’.
  • Polar bears keep warm thanks to nearly 10 cm of blubber under the skin.
  • Polar bears have an excellent sense of smell, with the ability to detect seals nearly a mile away (1.6 km).
  • Polar bears can reach speeds up to 40 kph (25 mph) on land and 10 kph (6 mph) in water.

Source: Sciencekids.co.nz

Get Free Email Updates!

I'm glad you are here, let's get to know each other...SIGNUP now and receive an email once I publish new content; NO SPAM, it's a promise!

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. Do not worry, you can unsubscribe at any time.

Biola Leye

Wife, mother, writer, leader, entrepreneur and lover of all things good.

14 thoughts on “FUN FACTS : POLAR BEARS

• March 1, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Great post! What fun to learn new things with our children and grandchildren! Many blessings to you!

• March 2, 2016 at 8:03 am

Thank you, dear Beth. I’m glad you liked the post.

Blessings,

• March 2, 2016 at 5:31 pm

It’s amazing how much information little minds can soak up, isn’t it? They are so naturally curious and good at remembering facts, it’s so important to encourage this! Sounds like you’re doing a great job, mama!

Thank you for sharing with us at #mommymeetupmondays!

• March 4, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Really amazing how much they exhibit in terms of knowledge / retention.

And it’s so sweet of you to think I’m doing okay, that should keep the worrying at bay..*smiles*. But seriously, those little ones keep us on our toes -mentally which is a bonus anyway.

• March 4, 2016 at 5:43 pm

I love how majestic polar bears are! thanks for these fun facts ♥

• March 5, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Wow kids say the darndest things. They are so innocent at time. My granddaughter went to tour an animal hospital this week and with awe was talking about a poor cat that had “rocks in his tummy.” After much thought I realized she was referring to kidney stones. Children absorb so much. Pinned and shared. Thanks for linking up at #ThursdayFavoriteThings! I hope you will join me at #Over the Moon.

• March 5, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I love learning new things, thank you. What beautiful animals polar bears are 🙂

• March 7, 2016 at 3:52 am

I love how much kids soak in and how random it is. Now here you are teaching US about polar bears. Very cool. Thank you for sharing at #MommyMeetUpMondays

• March 7, 2016 at 6:22 pm

My dear, sweet friend, forgive me for being so late to visit you, but ’tis better to be late than not come by at all, right? 🙂

This was such a fun and interesting post! I will have to read it to my son {{smiles}}

I greatly appreciate you sharing your wonderful posts with Roses of Inspiration. Have a lovely week! Hugs!

• Pingback: Effects Of Inappropriate TV Programs On Our Children | Ramblings Of A Naija Momaholic

• March 8, 2016 at 9:56 am

National Polar Bear day presented just the right excuse to make up a post about one…Thanks for visiting, Rosie.

• March 9, 2016 at 4:49 pm

Wow, as beautiful as they are, you wouldn’t want to be running away from a meat-hungry polar bear if they can go at those speeds on land! #pocolo

• March 9, 2016 at 11:54 pm

Who knew their was a national polar bear day – lots of stuff to learn for me! Thanks for linking to #pocolo !