B is for Beauty

Was reading the Daily Mail a couple of months back when I came across this headline about women and their beauty.

According to a ‘recent survey’ published in the Daily Mail sometimes in February, men are most confident in bed between ages of 50 and 69 while women experience their sexual confidence between age 18 and 29
It was concluded that women’s beauty and sexual confidence peak at 29, meaning that a woman literally starts the downward plunge where beauty is concerned on reaching that milestone.

You must be kidding me or I must be kidding myself because I am way past 29 and I have never felt more beautiful, confident and at peace with myself.
Maybe I am an exception. Maybe not.
(Now what about some who rightly  just attained this (sexual) confidence when they were meant to be ‘peaking’? Maybe they discovered the cookies only after its expiration!)

Thought it was worth checking out and off I went to Wiki to check out the definition of beauty.
According to Wikipedia, ‘beauty is a characteristic of a person, animal, place, object or idea that provides a perceptual experience of pleasure or satisfaction’

And now the million dollar questions for you which I also get to answer a few lines down so my million dollars get to stay with me. #smart girl.

1) What does the word -beauty means to you? When you say or hear ‘she is beautiful’, what comes to your mind or what do you have in mind?
2) Does a woman’s beauty really peak at a certain age?

See, the questions are in block to underscore the weight / seriousness of the issue.

And now my thoughts on this.
(Physical) Beauty as many understand it today as defined by the media and showbiz and of course which consists of possessing certain attributes / qualities like: ‘washboard abs’, ‘svelte figure’, ‘perfect pout’, ‘flawless skin’, ‘hourglass figure’, ‘high cheekbone’, ‘endless pins’ and all dem other standards is temporal. Fleeting. Transient.

Generally, people unnecessarily focuses too much on what (wo)men look like on the outside forgetting the fact that this particular sort of beauty fades with time. Interestingly, the study also discovered that two-thirds of women (spoken with) strongly agree that physical attractiveness is about how one looks, whereas beauty includes much more of whom a person is, what a person has on the inside. Their virtues.

“Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised” (Prov. 31:30)
And the last time I looked up the 4th verse of Psalm 139, it still says:
‘’I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful..’’
To me, this simply imply we are created wonderfully by Him who doesn’t manufacture trash or unattractive baggage. By implication, we are beautiful. Very.
He made us beautiful in His own likeness, each of us a carefully thought out prototype resulting in an astonishing masterpiece!
Every woman is beautiful and unique in her own way.

I do not think beauty should be defined by the digits on a plastic or glass or steel scale, neither by a certain clothing size (not every woman would be a size 6 or 8 or 10, right?); Neither should it be defined by the height nor size of the boobs or thighs hips or butts or lips or the dentition or complexion, or by the price tag on those high or low end wear, etc, etc.
The above may keep the catcalls coming but they definitely should not define our lives or beauty.
We are worth more than all the above in the beauty stakes, definitely worth more than rubies.
Simply put, we are priceless.
Personally, I don’t think there is any age a woman isn’t beautiful or should feel unattractive or be made to feel unattractive. Women are the sum of beautiful unique parts lovingly crafted to provide a haven to many souls that would be privileged to come across her path.
A woman’s beauty comes more from the inside, and does not consist of the many outside or external enhancements. Those enhancements are just add-on to bring out the inner beauty; they do not wholly represent her beauty and are not determinants of her state of mind or internal wealth of beauty per time.
In short, she is ‘drop-dead’ gorgeous on the inside, a unique work of art.
And as she grows older, the more mature and beautiful she becomes in intelligence, dress sense and richness of mind; just like fine wine, she gets better with age.
To put an expiry date or stamp on a woman’s beauty is an absurdity that has no place in this day and age, IMO.
Women are created perfect and will always be beautiful regardless of the passage of time or rigors of life. Their unique beauty and character remains with them from the cradle to the grave.
Fearfully and wonderfully, that’s how we are made and will remain.

Have a lovely week, beautiful people.

Cheers.

Get Free Email Updates!

I'm glad you are here, let's get to know each other...SIGNUP now and receive an email once I publish new content; NO SPAM, it's a promise!

I will never give away, trade or sell your email address. Do not worry, you can unsubscribe at any time.

8 thoughts on “B is for Beauty

• June 10, 2013 at 10:52 am

Yay! I'm beautiful.
    I agree that “To put an expiry date or stamp on a (wo)man’s beauty or confidence is an absurdity that has no place in this day and age IMO”

Have an amazing week too xo

• June 10, 2013 at 11:53 am

Yes, you are beautiful and always will be.

Thanks for visiting.

• June 10, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I agree with you that it's ridiculous to put a time stamp on a woman's physical beauty. I believe that a confident woman is a beautiful woman. I am a people watcher and I find that I pick attractive women of various shapes and sizes out in a mall or wherever by their attitude alone. A woman in track pants, with no make up and hair wrapped in a bun, who walks like she knows her worth is automatically a knockout. In that sense I agree that physical beauty is a manifestation of what goes on inside. Furthermore, by society's fickle standard of beauty, the most beautiful women in the world today are much older than 29. Halle Berry is an easy example (in her 40s). I also seriously doubt that women peak sexually at 29. Just watch Desperate Housewives hahahahaha

• June 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Thank you, Chuwechuwe.

It's hilarious, right? I thought so too when I first read the article (unfortunately I forgot to bookmark the page).

I sincerely wonder when people would get to realize that everyone is beautiful in different / unique ways rather than needlessly trying to measure up to these 'fickle' societal standards (investing resources -time, money and occasionally their lives in the process of getting the 'perfect' figure like the much touted celebs #washboard abs, hourglass figure, perfect pout and the rest vain aspirations)

• June 12, 2013 at 2:32 am

First timer here!

The older I get, the more concerned I am with developing my inner beauty and making it a priority. Not saying that the outer doesn’t matter, but a beautiful spirit just emphasizes a beautiful body.

• June 12, 2013 at 8:36 am

Thanks for visiting, In the midst of her.

And you are absolutely right in your attitude too, we should focus on developing our inner beauty even more than the outer.

• June 12, 2013 at 9:48 am

It's my first time here. Lovely peice! Very enlightening and encouraging comments too.

Like you did, I find myself constantly needing to redefine parameters as the world sees them vs. what God says. More often than not, they are on opposing tangents. Thank you for doing a great job of reminding me like Paul says, that a woman’s beauty should not be of the outward alone but the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. So, irrespective of age, finding God and basking in His presence yields an unfading beauty of a gentle spirit and if that’s great worth in God’s sight, that is my target beauty.

Okay, for me, it is time to hunker down and get rid of some of the clutter so that I imbibe that gentle spirit indeed. That is the beauty that shines through amidst adversity and blossoms more with trials. Tell me about a woman's nurturing and creative abilities, tell me about a woman's grace to incubate. Beautiful is what that is. Her resourcefulness and many graces? Age has nothing on beauty, that’s the reason older women teach younger women, true beauty is born from inside out.

Let’s go there, I am beautiful!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. God bless you!

• June 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Thank you StupendousGrace; a beautiful site you have over there, twas my pleasure visiting.

Totally agree with you. Indeed finding Him and basking in His awesome presence satisfyingly yields an unfading under beauty.

Let's go there. Lol.